Friday, November 19, 2010

Stealing from the Dollar Store...ok it feels like stealing cuz its so cheap!

So I have to admit, I stole this idea :)  I have been reading Thrifty Decor Chicks blog and she mentioned these candle holders that she found at the Dollar Tree!! First of all, Dollar Tree is quite possibly the best dollar store around! This is where I have bought almost all of our Christmas decorations since "everything is just a dollar!" I remember when we were first married in our new home, I was dying to have the Christmas of the magazines on a college student budget (so thankful to be done with that part of my life by the way).  I went to Dollar tree and was in LOVE.  They have so many things that, with a personal added touch, look so good!  Anyway... back to the candle holders.  She said "run don't walk!" to get one of these glass candle holders and a glass candlestick to make a beautiful hurricane lamp!  So that's exactly what I did.  The next day despite a sore throat ( you have to go for deals no matter what!) I ran to the store and picked up THE LAST candle holder.  I set it carefully in my cart and guarded my new possession (hands off!!!).  Me and little man then went to the park where Aunt Debbie had found some great wild Missouri pecans.  I picked up a whole bagful...little man just went right along with me each time I bent down.  That's quite a workout now that he is getting so big. So we raced home (well after a quick stop down the road to get my cell phone from off the top of my car...oooops got lucky there!!)  He decided to take a nap so I started to assemble my treasure.  I had found the last large candle holder but there were many of the small candle holders of the same shape.  All I did was hot glue the glass candlestick to the bottom of the large candle holder and wallah!! Beautiful arrangement for $9 silver tray included :) I made the mossy decorative balls also included in that price.  I just am so happy every time I walk past this!!
I really wish I could figure out how to make the flash on my camera not make everything look ghostly. 

Saving money is the name of the game, and I really enjoy doing it. Here lately I have started paying all our bills online.  Saving that stamp is even exciting!
Next project may include a little more money. I need idea help if your willing!  Our couch cushions have cracked and they basically drive me crazy!

Here is my inspiration:


The frame of our couch is in good condition and the arms are ok so I'm thinking of making large pillows for the back cushions?? Some kind of fabric that brings together the recliner, ughhh which I hate the look of but I sit in more that I would like to admit, and the "leather" of the frame.  So do you think it would look weird if I left the seat cushions leather? Just trying to save myself some fabric cost...and time :) I am planning on using the stuffing from the existing cushions to stuff my new pillows to also save on cost a little.  Let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment