Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Notes that are fun to look at

When I was remodeling our office, I was searching for extremely inexpensive items to decorate with.  I could have gone out and spent a ton of money but it is almost more fun to have a challenge!  I created the fabric boxes to hide our clutter and wanted something to match them for the wall decoration. Well Martha Stewart always has the answer!  Martha is one of those people that you either love or hate.  I personally LOVE her!! If I could spend just a summer with her, I would be so happy!! She does it all.  She runs many businesses but still manages to keep her old fashioned ideas of keeping a happy home.  I love that she even has the perfect way to wash a window.  If I ever want a really great craft idea, I just open one of her books.  There seems to be a great idea on every page!  I found this note board in one of her books. 

 I adapted it so that I could do it a little more affordably.  I simply purchased 1/4 yard of 4 colors of the cheapest fabric I could find. Then I purchased 1/2 yard of the "base" fabric (the color I wanted to see most). Then I purchased a piece of foam core. I simply ironed the hem into the top of each  strip of fabric and overlapped them on the front of the foam core.  I put pins into the foam core through each of the colors to hold them in place while I flipped the entire piece over.  I hot glued the fabric to the back making sure to pull it tight.  I hot glued some of the strips down on the front as well making fake pockets. I bought pieces of paper that matched my color theme and made cards to put on my note board.  Since it is foam core you can put pins in it for real notes too.  This probably cost me $5 all together!! A great cheap piece of art :)

No comments:

Post a Comment